Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hatching Day two

Watching the eggs roll round and round, as soft peeping rises from them time-to-time.  The little fuzzball (A13) is still working on keep feet to earth.  Apparently it's a wobbly world.  We're setting up a nursery for the babies, starting inside the house and will gradually move them out as the weather warms.
6am -- the two eggs that had little windows in them last night are still rolling back and forth.  The holes are a little bigger and one can clearly see that the chicks are working to open a bigger door.

12pm -- One of the eggs that started hatching last night looks like the chick may have lost its fight.  Will continue to keep watch.  Meanwhile another egg has a new window in it.
Keeping Watch
2:30 pm -- Was looking at some of the other eggs and wondered when and if they too will hatch.  Back on the 28th, I had candled the eggs with the following results:

A - strong blood vessels otherwise too dark to tell
B - bloodline. infertile (removed)
C - same as A w/ large air sack
D - same as A, lots of whiggling
E - same as D
F - feet can be clearly distinguished
G - too dark to determine
H - same as G
I - can see outline of feet, some whiggling
J - Feet and dark blood vessels
K - light blood vesseling
L - strong blood vessels, prune size shadow (chick?)
M - strong blood vessels, lots of whiggling
N - same as M
O (11) - same as M
P (6) - same as M
Q (DD10) - same as M

A was the first to hatch.  The other three that I can clearly see, I can't see the ID on yet.  (have been told to fuss with the hatchlings while they work their way out.  which also means to keep the lid on and no peeking.)

5 pm - seems to be a lot of discussion taking place among the hatchlings in their shells but I get the sense that they are all having second thoughts.

I Won’t Hatch!
Shel Silverstein
Oh I am chickie who lives in an egg,
But I will not hatch.
The hens they cackle, the roosters all beg,
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.
For I hear all the talk of pollution and war
As the people all shout and the airplanes roar,
So I’m staying in here where it’s safe and it’s warm,
And I WILL NOT HATCH!
From Shel Silverstein. Where the Sidewak Ends. New York: Harper and Row, 1974. page 127.

Being patient.  It can take 48 hours for a chick to get out of its shell...

No comments: