Friday, May 3, 2013

Walk in the woods


 One of my favorite things to do each day, is to take a little time to walk around the pastures and woods and see what new surprises they hold.  All sorts of flowers and critters are coming to life this time of year.  Areas that looked dead just a few weeks ago, are now filled with sprouts and flowers.
These are Trillium.  The two common varieties found in central New York are the Red Trillium and the White Trillium.  On the protected species list, it is a delight to find these thriving in our wood.

Aren't they beautiful?

Another surprise was when I was startled by a very loud buzzing that suddenly bounced off me and dropped to my feet.  I first thought that a small hummingbird had bumbled its way into me only to discover that this large critter was actually a queen bumblebee looking for a place to dig her nest.
Do you see her?  She's right in the middle.  She's about the size of my thumb (almost a third larger than most bumblebees I've seen).  Think of all those bumblebees you see during the summer.  Most of them barely last the season with only the queens to hibernate the winter.  These queens emerge come Spring going out to find a new place to make their burrow or start their hive.  I left her alone to do her little bee business, delighted in my discovery.  So keep your eyes open and ready to welcome the little surprises that may come your way!
Do you see her now?

1 comment:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love the flowers. I don't think I've ever seen those before. I do see the bee and to the left there is a little squiggly think....hope it wasn't a baby snake..... :(